The Plastic Place Green Scholarship for Academic Excellence, and Environmental Activism and Advocacy
This week’s Featured Scholarship was brought to our attention by Ben Lam of PlasticPlace. He reached out to let us know about this $1,500 scholarship his company is offering. It’s rare that a sponsoring organization contacts us to help get the word out to students about a scholarship opportunity but we love it when they do!
http://www.plasticplace.com/the-plasticplace-scholarship or http://www.plasticplace.com/ (scroll down page to “Tools & Services” heading and click The PlasticPlace Scholarship link)
Contact: 687 Prospect Street, Suite 450, Lakewood, NJ 08701; Phone: 877.343.2247; email: Scholarships@PlasticPlace.com
Deadline: July 1
Award Amount: $1,500
Eligibility: Incoming students for fall of 2015, US Citizens, average SAT score of 1070 and average GPA of 3.5 or above. This scholarship is merit-based not based on financial need.
Requirements: Application Sheet (you will write), an Essay on the stated topic below (80 to 1,500 words), and an Official Transcript
How to Apply:
- Student must complete his/her own application.
- Before scholarship will be awarded, all information submitted will be verified.
- If ANY false information is submitted on the application, the student will be disqualified.
- Provide an official copy of academic transcript from current school.
Fill out the following (This is Your Application Sheet):
- Full Name
- Home Street Address
- City, State, Zip Code
- Home Phone (with area code)
- Email Address
- Parent/Guardian Name (If under 18)
- Parent/Guardian Contact Number (If under 18)
- Anticipated date of Graduation (Month/Year)
The Health and Safety of Landfills: Landfills are at historic capacity levels. According to the EPA, the U.S. has more than 3,000 landfills in use, and over 10,000 old municipal landfills. Americans generate 250 million tons of garbage annually, and some reports show up to 400 million tons. Only about 10% of all solid garbage in the U.S. gets recycled.
Here’s what should be covered in the essay:
- Two-sided argument on the topic.
- Research on the relevant health and safety issues.
- Your determination if the current trajectory is sustainable.